Friday 23 October 2015

Dishing the Dirt on Eating Clean

I'm often asked what I mean when I say I'm into clean eating. Today I'm going to go through the basics for you.
Eating clean is a very simple concept but it has big benefits. Our nutrition is massively important in how our body looks and feels. If you eat rubbish your body will show it. It's said that 80% of what our body looks like is down to what we eat, 10% is down to exercise and 10% is genetic. You've heard it before but you really are what you eat.

Clean eating is simply the practice of limiting processed and refined foods and basing your diet on whole foods. It bases itself on the concept of food as fuel to nourish your body. It's not complicated, you just need to understand the basics.
Eating clean is not a fad diet. There is no calorie counting or deprivation. It doesn't eliminate food groups. You get to eat plenty of food, just the good stuff! It is a permanent lifestyle change where you go back to basic healthy eating principles.

There are lots of online resources you can use to find out more about clean eating. The concept can be open to interpretation and some people have different thoughts on it. This is my take on it and how I practice clean eating principles in my life. This suits me and my family and has helped us become healthier. We all have our own opinions and you may feel differently than me so I strongly encourage you to do what is right for you and your family.

Eat real, whole foods that come from nature:
  • A variety of fruit and vegetables. Vegetables in particular are low in calories but are packed with fibre and lots of vitamins and minerals
  • Wholegrains. Replace refined grains with whole ones to ensure you're getting all the lovely nutrients and fibre that are in them. Choose steel cut oats, brown/wild/black rice, quinoa, freekeh, etc. There are loads of options. 
  • Lean meats
  • Fish
  • Dairy
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Healthy fats and oils (such as avocado, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil)
Limit processed foods:
  • This is anything that has been 'tampered with' to make it into it's current state
  • Avoid added sugars, salt and fats
  • Avoid refined sugars. Refined sugar = empty calories. It has no nutritional benefit at all.
  • Avoid refined white flours and replace them with wholemeal flour.
  • Avoid anything with preservatives, additives or artificial sweeteners.
  • Read ingredients lists carefully. Anything with lots of ingredients will generally mean it's not 'clean'
  • A rule of thumb is if you can't pronounce one of the ingredients then you shouldn't buy it!
Clean Eating Principles:
  • Eat breakfast every day to boost your metabolism
  • Eat regularly. Every 2 and a half to 3 hours. This also keeps your metabolism firing on all cylinders and will reduce the chance of you needing to snack on something bad in between meals
  • Cook from scratch. It's easier than you might think. I've enjoyed learning how to cook with lots of fabulous fresh ingredients. I've got some really quick and easy recipes that I'll be sharing with you
  • Adhere to proper portion sizes (see below) 
  • Combine lean protein with complex carbohydrates in your meals. This keeps you feeling fuller for longer and helps with your metabolism to burn fat more effectively
  • Limit caffeine and alcohol. Use both in moderation
  • Keep hydrated!
  • Stay flexible!!!!! More about this below.....

Correct Portion Sizes:
  • Protein = size of palm
  • Complex carbohydrates = one cupped hand
  • Fruit and veg = 2 cupped hands
  • Cooking oils and healthy fats = 1 tablespoon

Benefits of Clean Eating:
  • Easier to maintain a healthy weight thereby reducing the risk of health problems
  • A diet full of variety ensures you're getting lots of nutrients
  • Whole foods are great at keeping the digestive system regular
  • A healthy diet makes you stronger so you can stay more active for longer.

The Really Important Bit!!!

It's vitally important to be flexible when you're eating clean. Clean eating 100% of the time is not very realistic. It's completely OK to enjoy a treat every now and then. It's not cheating! It's just making a conscious, informed choice to enjoy something different every once in a while. All you need to do is be comfortable with your choices. For me, I'll often have artificial sweeteners in my tea or coffee. That's fine by me - it's a choice I've made and I'm comfortable with it. We enjoy making homemade pizza, and my dough recipe uses white flour. That's OK with me! We only have it once in a while. The key is balance.

Lots to take on board? I know, I felt the same way. What's great is that you can take this slowly switching out ingredients as you go along. It's taken me a while to learn what I have so far, and I'm still learning. It's a work in progress!

Clean eating will change your body from the inside out. So eat like you love your body. I promise you you'll feel better for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment